- 3/4 cup mung beans
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. vegan parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3 tbs. flaxseed meal
- 225 grams (8 oz) asparagus
- 42 grams (1.5 oz) watercress
- 84 grams (3 oz) vegan mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Parchment Paper
1. Wash and dry produce. Set the oven to 450 degrees. Add mung beans, dash of salt and 1-3/4 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, covered. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until almost all the water has been absorbed. Once absorbed, drain beans and transfer to a dish to cool.
2. Mince the garlic and zest the lemon with a grater. Add the garlic, lemon zest, oregano, vegan parmesan, red chile flakes, salt, pepper, and 3 tbs. olive oil to a small bowl and stir to combine.
3. Add mung beans to a food processor or blender and pulse a few times until you start to notice them breaking up. Add chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, and pinch of salt. Take 1/2 cup of water and gradually add to mixture on high speed. Dough should be of thick consistency. Once complete, roll the dough into a ball with your hands and place on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper, pressing the dough down until it is about 1/4″ thick. Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes and until edges are slightly browned.
4. Trim the tough ends of asparagus and then using a peeler, peel the remaining asparagus lengthwise into thin pieces. Place asparagus in a large bowl and add the watercress, lemon juice from half the lemon, 1 tbsp. olive oil, pinch of salt/pepper and toss to combine.
5. Once crusts are done, top with garlic oil and vegan mozzarella. Return crusts to oven and allow toppings to melt. Remove crusts from oven and top with shaved asparaugs salad and roughly chopped basil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and cut to serve!
*May serve any remaining salad on the side.
Paula is a Certified Personal Trainer & Registered Nutrition & Diet Technician from the Academy Of Nutrition & Dietetics. She has been working in the nutrition industry for over 6 years.
If you’d like to reach out to her regarding nutritional coaching or meal plans, a link to her website is below!